- United Kingdom
- Korean Cultural Centre UK
CALLING ALL ARTISTS!!
The Korean Cultural Centers in the UK and Germany are offering artists an opportunity to exhibit in our gallery spaces. We cordially invite artists to submit their application.
Where does one turn for respite in times of unrest? What radiates permanence and clear perspective when uncertainty abounds? How can we imagine a more positive future beyond the realities of the current global experience? Which innovations, be they sonic, visual, sculptural or experiential, allow us to shift our positions, alter our vantage points and question our assumptions?
Prescient and popular science fiction writer Ursula K. Le Guin wrote, in her novel The Left Hand of Darkness (1969): “The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next,” suggesting it is precisely the lack of anything definitive which propels us forward, searching for answers and widening the scope of new possibilities. The very process of questioning through the haze and fog of destabilisation, then, has the potential to shift perspectives and lead to growth.
A philosophy of existence embracing transformation similarly exists in the world-building of Octavia E. Butler, another oracular voice in speculative fiction, who penned in her classic Parable of the Sower (1993): “All that you touch You Change. All that you Change Changes you. The only lasting truth Is Change.” What results is a re-visioning and repurposing that would have been impossible had there been only stasis.
In the literary traditions created by both LeGuin and Butler, epic journeys are undertaken requiring learning and adapting to previously unthinkable situations along the paths to freedom and self-knowledge. As present-day circumstances dare and compel us into seeing the world not as we previously knew it, what might we see through different eyes?
Alessio Antoniolli & Zoé Whitley
EXHIBITION FORMAT : GROUP EXHIBITION
- GROUP application: 6 Artists may apply as a group
- INDIVIDUAL applicants: In the case that individual artists apply and are selected, a maximum of 6 artists will be chosen to exhibit as a group
- Exhibition 1: From June 2022 to August, Germany
- Exhibition 2: From November to January 2023, UK
* Exact dates to be confirmed in due course
- Individuals and groups whose work has been exhibited more than once either domestically or internationally
- January 17, 2022 - February 11, 2022, 11PM (GMT)
- Biography, maximum 500 characters
- Portfolio (title, material, size, year of production, fill in technique rider if necessary, and up to 5 works with 3 or less images per work)
- Work description maximum 1500 characters (explain how the theme and your artwork are connected)*
- Exhibition plan, no more than 1x A4 sheet (only when applying as a group)
* Work that has not yet been produced should be submitted on one A4 sheet of paper accompanied by a detailed work plan explanation
* Edited video file should be limited to 5 minutes or less and submitted as a link to the portfolio with film-stills (for video, sound and performance works)
<Note to Applicants>
* Please submit the application as one file in PDF format with images and video links (max. 7MB)
* Please do not send original works
* Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot provide individual feedback nor return applications
SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
- External and internal jurors consisting of curators and visual arts professionals will review the applications before voting on the winner.
- External Jurors: Alessio Antoniolli (Director, Gasworks), Dr. Zoé Whitley (Director, Chisenhale Gallery), Dr. Andreas Beitin (Director, Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg), Dr. Sven Beckstette (Curator, Hamburger Bahnhof)
- Announcements on the websites of both Cultural Centers in early March 2022
Support Items for Successful Applicants
- Up to 800 USD per successful applicant will be provided in support for shipment, standard class travel expense (transportation) and work production materials only.
- Promotion, opening ceremony, installation, and de-installation
* In case a group is selected, further discussion on the winning entry will follow
How to Submit
- Submit to Kccuk.email@example.com
*Applications submitted with insufficient documents will not be considered
* For further inquiries about the competition, please contact Jaemin CHA (firstname.lastname@example.org) or RHO Ah (email@example.com)
- Up to 800 USD per successful applicant will be provided in support for shipment, standard class travel expense (transportation) and work production materials only. Promotion, opening ceremony, installation, and de-installation.